12.03.2009

The First Pitch

Today it begins. I have officially begun writing a blog. So what exactly will this entail? Well let's start with what it's not. It is not going to be about interesting or funny things that have happened to me because let's be honest, no one would read about that, in fact I wouldn't even write about that. So if I'm not writing about myself then what does that leave? Politics? Philosophy? Literature? Heck no! I will be using this space to share my thoughts and opinions on one of my biggest passions in life, in fact if I didn't love Jesus then it might just be at the top, which is my love of sports.

I realize that there are thousands of other sports bloggers and columnists out in cyber space that are more informed and have spend years honing their reporting and writing skills, which of course mine will not compare to, and in fact I may well use some of their thoughts and ideas in formulating my own opinions. However these posts will be straight from my perspective as a sports fan. I hope that you will do 3 things (because a friend told me one time that lists are always best in 3's) as you read this from time to time:

1. Sound off. Give me your thoughts on what I've said.
2. Send me sports questions/topics that you would like my opinion on.
3. Answer the trivia question of the week at the top of the page.

That's enough of the purpose let's get to the good stuff...

Over the past week it seems that soccer has been a big topic of conversation, mainly in regards to 2010 World Cup qualifying that has just recently been completed. I must admit first that I am not a soccer fan in the least, and probably couldn't name 10 current soccer players in the world at this moment. However I am stunned by the attention the France vs. Ireland qualifying match has gotten. In case you haven't heard, the controversy stems from the game winning goal for France being scored off of a blatant handball that the referee missed. Here is the link if you haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXOJqnK4ZY&feature=related

So yes it is a blatant hand ball no question, the goal shouldn't have counted. Thierry Henry even admitted to it after the match. What I don't understand is why the media have decided to make Henry into this cheater who has disgraced his country and soccer as a sport. This is ridiculous! That's why there are referees on the field to call infractions, fouls, etc. when they are committed. Yes I can understand why lots of people are upset, especially the Irish who not only did not qualify for the World Cup but also missed out on the millions of dollars that they would have received as a qualifier. However why is the referee not being blasted by the media and even suspended by FIFA? We see that happen in other sports all the time, the referees make a bad call at a crucial spot in the game and they are suspended, it has happened multiple times in college football this year and even in the MLB playoffs. I mean who's to say if he doesn't score the goal that Ireland wins the match anyway? I realize that's not the point but Henry does not deserve the criticism that he has received. So as an American I obviously hope the US team does well in the World Cup, but I must say that for the first time in my life I am slightly pulling for the French to do well in this tournament, and what sweet redemption for Henry it would be if he scored a game winner!

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Jeremy! I enjoyed it and now I will be up to date on all sports related issues as I read your blog each time!!

    ReplyDelete